The basic difference between diesel engine and petrol engine is that Diesel engine draws air during suction stroke,low speed engine and costly than petrol engine,while petrol engine draw mixture of petrol and air and are high speed engines.
Diesel Engine properties
- Diesel engine only draws air during suction stroke.
- The fuel is injected in the form of fine spray.
- Combustion of fuel takes place at constant pressure.
- The diesel engine are heavier and costlier.
- Starting of diesel engine is difficult due to high compression ratio.
- The maintenance cost of it is large.
- They are low speed engines.
- They are generally employed in heavy duty vehicles.
Petrol engines properties
- They are high speed engines than diesel engines.
- They draw mixture of petrol and air.
- Charge is ignited with plug.
- Starting of petrol engine is more easier than diesel engine.
- They have low compression ratio.
- In petrol engines combustion of fuel take place at constant volume.
- They are generally employed in light duty vehicles.
- Running cost is high.