Some common properties of all electromagnetic waves are:
- These waves are all the transverse waves.
- They travel with the same speed of light in vacuum but slow down in other medium such as glass and water.
- They are not required any medium to travel from one place to another place.
- They obey laws of refraction and reflection.
- These waves transfer energy from one point to another,like we get electromagnetic radiation from sun through vacuum to the earth.
- These can be absorbed and emitted by the matter.
- Wave equation v=fλ applicable to all these waves.
- Frequencies of these waves do not change when they enter from one medium to another medium.
- They carry no charge because all electromagnetic waves consist of oscillating electric fields and magnetic fields at right angles to each other.