Comparison between Impulse turbine and a reaction turbine
Following are the some points of comparison between an impulse and reaction turbine.
- In impulse turbine steam flows through nozzle and impinges in moving blades.
- The steam hits on the buckets with Kinetic energy.
- The steam pressure remains constant.
- Their relative velocity remains constant.
- Blades are symmetrical.
- Number of stages required are less for the same power developed.
- Steam flows initially from guide mechanism and then from moving blades.
- Steam glides over moving blades.
- Steam pressure is reduced during its flow.
- Relative velocity is increased.
- Blades are not symmetrical.
- Number of stages required are more for the same power developed.