What are three types of heat transfer?
“when two bodies at different temperature are in thermal contact with each other,thermal energy from a hot body flows to a cold body in the form of heat.This is called heat transfer.”
Transfer of heat is a natural process.It continues all the time as long as the bodies in thermal contact are at different temperature.There are three ways by which transfer of heat takes place.These are given below in the list:
Watch video about heat transfer methods:
Applications of Conduction of Heat:
Conduction plays an important role in our daily lives:
- Cooking utensils,electric kettles,irons,soldering irons etc.are made of metals to conduct heat quickly.their handles are made of plastic or wood which are bad conductors.
- Birds have feathers which keep their bodies warm because feathers are bad conductor of heat.
- woolen clothes and blankets slow down the transfer of heat.It happens so because the wool traps air in it.The air is a bad conductor of heat.
- Ice is covered with jute rugs ton reduce its melting speed.jute is the bad conductor of heat.
- An insulating material (e.g. Styrofoam) is filled between the double walls of a refrigerator.it reduces the transfer of heat across the walls of the refrigerator.
- Double plane windows are used in buildings to slow the transfer of heat.Air between the two layers of glass acts as an insulator.
- Thermos bottles use air or a vacuum to slow the transfer of heat by conduction.
How many ways by which heat transfer?
There are three ways by which heat can flow,which are given in the list below: